Monday, October 15, 2012

Teeth and Ecclesiastes chap 12 vs 3.

Sounds like Scotty is having the time of his life which thrills me.  I can't believe that he has accomplished so much and grown into this hard-working, responsible man!  Who would've thunk it?!?  I am so glad he is enjoying his new companion, Elder Hovley.  Elder Hovley will never be the same again!  I am so glad Scotty is keeping a journal because it sounds like he is having some really amazing experiences...and a bit of entertainment too.  This is a great letter, don't just skim over it; if you do, you will miss a lot.  

Dear Mama,
       I am so much happy to hear all this stuff. I see you found the  pictures Sister Roggia put up.
     Mom, as you are having a hard time with things do not ever think of  giving up. I know you are meant to be teaching special education. You were even called to take care of Jason for a reason. And it was to bring you into that field. Mom, I want to thank you for the wonderful example you have always been to me. Your dedication to this gospel is no doubt one of the major reasons I have ended up going on a mission. I have always looked up to you for that. Just keep your head level in
school. 
     Honestly I do not know how I feel about how Jared and his GF broke up.  I truly might think it is a good thing. When I was younger I never cared but now I would never date a girl unless she had strong morals and standards backed by the Church. So this is probably best for Jared. And it will definitely help prepare him for a mission which is now sooner then we thought. I am so excited for everyone preparing for missions. It is going to be so wonderful to hear about them going.
      Mom, things are so cool in our area right now. Now that I am senior companion I feel really proud of the work we are accomplishing. Before I wondered if I was just tagging along to my previous companions success. Because he was in charge mainly calling the shots. But now that that is me. I feel so wonderful seeing the Gospel change lives. We are having 2 baptisms this weekend and they are such wonderful converts. It is an older woman and her 13 year old son. They truly understand the Gospel and are living it. It is so encouraging seeing these things happening. I cannot fathom how hard it would be to stay motivated in some of those missions where they do not even get baptisms.
      Elder Hovley and I are having so much fun. Sometimes I am amazed we are able to get any work done. But we manage to do it. I love being able to help him adjust to Africa. I am proud to call him my son.
      So my mind has gone blank as to what would be cool to talk about this week. Maybe I will share about one of our members we found. So one day when were contacting in the village of New York. We were going around parts I have never been before. I asked this women if she was interested in our message and she said "No! Mi na Muslim." But she then directed us to some woman who was Christian. So a neighboring young boy showed us the house. So after we met the woman we left and
the young boy said "Come meet my father he is a Christian." So we went over and there was a shirtless old man laying on a bench next to the big pile of dirt in his home. We looked at his desk and it was covered with books like the teachings of Joseph Smith. Turns out this man has been a member of the church for many years now. But due to his health he is unable to attend Church. So we found him and no one even knew he was there. So we visit him weekly now and he just asks us about
scriptures and stuff. He is an amazing man. Sometimes it seems like he may be losing it small. He asked us to explain the last chapter of Ecclesiastes chapter 12. Man his interpretations were the funniest things I have ever heard. Read Ecclesiastes chap 12 vs 3. He thought it was referring to his teeth. Because the "Keepers of the House shall tremble" he thought the house was his mouth. "And the grinders shall cease because they are few" he mentioned how his teeth are almost all gone and the grinding of his food is ceasing. I laughed so hard.
      But I cannot think of much to say about this week. Lets see. Some drunk lady came and sat down against me yesterday and just sat there pinching my skin talking about how fine it is. But honestly these things are normal to me now. Nothing surprises me.... So life is cool.  But I hope all things are well. I hope my package comes soon. So I do not know what I want in a package. But what would be nice is if you and Dad could send me like 30 dollars or so in packages so I can have some more personal money. But in the packages mainly put sweet food. I want more chocolate pudding(a lot). And Mac N Cheese. But everything thing is good.  So let me know how things keep going. Love you.
 
Love yo son, Elder McDonald

No comments: